EXPLORE.

4.22.2016

Wok On The Wild Side - Stir Fry Recipe

I feel like when you blog about food it's very common to only see recipes of meals that just sound and look really really good. Everyone gets a little thrill out of seeing buckets of cheese in a recipe or if you have a sweet tooth you're going to browse around for something with puddles of chocolatey goo. Most people aren't too interested in seeing how your vegetables cook and all those new nifty cooking videos all over the web are definitely not trying to convince you those foods are really actually good for you. I had to learn the hard way that eating a brick of cheese was somehow not going to help me lose any weight or make me feel very good. I ate it anyway but that's clearly besides the point.

I wanted to show you guys a meal that I have almost every single night. I do really like change and therefore always mix it up a bit but my staple dinners are always going to consist of mostly boneless, skinless chicken breast and some kind of vegetable medley. Chicken breast is going to give me a good amount of protein and making sure it's skinless and boneless ensures that I'm not overindulging in fats. I know it seems like all meat is just purely protein but different parts of different animals are going to vary in fat and that's something you really want to look out for. Shay and I like to buy a huge slab at the grocery store about twice a week and then bake it in the oven for a little over an hour with different seasonings. That way when we're starving or just not in the mood, we'll always have some protein source prepared for dinner. 

Since I'm still doing my cut, I'm pretty restricted in where I find my carbs and vegetables are the easiest way to have high volume foods with still moderately low carbs. Now just a tip because I used to be fooled, eating large quantities of vegetables and fruit can definitely be bad for you too. Vegetables and fruit are mainly made out of carbs and even though they're definitely better than eating chips and crackers and breads, it doesn't mean eating however much isn't going to affect you. You definitely don't have to be as extreme as I am with my food but I even weigh out how many ounces of each vegetable I use so that I have a basic rough estimate of carbs by the end of the day. 
One of my staple go to's is always a Vegetable Stir Fry. I do like Asian foods but most of the time those are saturated in fats and carbs. So that I'm still quenching my cravings, I found a simple recipe that Shay and I make at home. Since he's bulking he'll usually actually add some rice and makes his dinner a fried rice but for me, I'm happy with just my veggies. 

I used to just lazily warm everything up in the microwave after a long day but recently we were sent this incredible Ceramic Coated Nonstick Wok from Kyocera and ever since cooking is so much easier to do. Growing up my little chubby self would always watch Food Network and see these chefs with these big beautiful Woks. My mom and I used to talk about one day owning a big kitchen and buying a Wok and just steaming up Asian Cuisines. I'm lame, I know. Wok's are ideal for pan frying, roasting, searing and stir-frying and the high sloping sides with a flat bottom make it easy to really simmer and cook. For my meal last night we chopped up five ounces of chicken breast, five ounces of broccoli, three ounces of peas (which surprisingly have tons of fiber and a good amount of protein) and three ounces of carrots. I'm super impatient when it comes to cooking and my hanger is usually ridiculous so having this Wok really helps us cook fast good food. My meal was steamed, cooked and ready in a little over ten minutes. 

To make the meal more of an Asian Cuisine, I add Teriyaki Sauce. Now with any sauce you really want to pay attention to the nutrition facts. Most are swimming in sodium, fats and carbs. I use Organic Ville Island Teriyaki Sauce which has a taste of pineapple too. It only has 1g of fat, 4g of carbs, and 1g of protein per tablespoon. I usually coat everything with two tablespoons and the Wok allows the vegetables to simmer and soak in with the sauce. It looks like a lot of food and tastes super good but is really nutritious and good for you.

Simple enough to make after a long day and clean up takes little to no time too. Since the Wok has ceramic coating, it's scratch proof and easy to clean without having to scrub. If you're looking for a good kitchen gadget to invest in for easy, fast, good food I'd definitely recommend getting a Wok. I know this recipe wasn't cheese coated or chocolate oozed but it's healthy, simple, and delicious too. If you're trying to lose weight or trying to incorporate more vegetables definitely give it a go and let me know what you think. 
SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© casuallyawkward. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig
09 10