EXPLORE.

2.07.2014

Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm Review - Elusive and Sultry

You all know I'm constantly looking for the right kind of lip product for my ever so tiny lips and recently every single makeup brand seems to be bringing out some kind of Lip Crayon. Now, I'm a huge fan of lip crayons because they are so handy and really pack the punch of a lip liner and lip stick all in one chubby stick. I do believe the brand that started this epidemic was Clinique with their Chubby Sticks and although I've been dying to own one of their fabulous crayons, drug store brands have been bringing out amazing affordable lip crayons that every beauty gal has been reaching for. As soon as I got to America, I knew one product I was sure to pick up while I'm here were the new Revlon Colorburst Matte Balms. I love a matte lipstick but am awfully picky when it comes to formulas. I knew that for the price ($8.95), these had so much potential and I was dying to finally own one. The only problem was, they're sold out almost everywhere. I have literally gone to numerous drugstores and Ultas in search of these chubby lip crayons and everywhere was either sold out or picked over and I wasn't about to purchase a used lip product. 

I finally happened upon these two when I ventured into the Rite Aid near my house and they were just restocking their collection. I sprang on the chance to own these beauties. I picked up the shades #225 Sultry and #205 Elusive. They're both a pinky tone and although my camera makes them look quite similar Sultry is a more berry toned colour with slight plum accents and Elusive is a very beautiful pink colour that is nearing the hot pink colour wheel but is a lot more muted when applied. I love that Elusive is an everyday colour that has a little added punch making it not too boring and not too riskay. Sultry on the other hand looks really striking in the bullet but comes off beautifully and adds just the right amount of colour without making me feel too self conscious. Sultry also has more brown undertones which is my preferred colour range and what I actually enjoy doing with these two is creating an ombre effect. I like to line the lips with Sultry and then dab the Elusive colour towards the middle creating a beautiful ombre lip effect where it inches from a light centre out into a dark liner. Two other shades that I would love to get my hands on are Mischievous and Complex which are the more nudey colours in the range. 

I do have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised with these products. I was reading lots of reviews on the Revlon Matte Balms and even spoke with a few fellow bloggers and everyone seemed kind of on the fence about these, myself included. I've owned these for a few days now and have been trying them out and I feel like my opinion changes every day. Some days I feel like these are just lovely and others I'm not sure they're really worth the hype. In reality, I'm probably just being picky. These are drugstore lip crayons and they're not going to be as amazing as my Mac Lipsticks or my Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencils. I will say however, I actually prefer this formula over my Nars lip pencils. I don't think the lasting power on these is quite as amazing as the Nars ones but, when the formula begins to wear off, it doesn't appear as though your lip stick is fading. It gradually fades as a whole rather than it inching its way from the inner lip to the outer making it appear very faded and tacky. My Nars lip pencils like to fade really badly and I always feel self conscious because I'm not sure if half my lips are just gone without me realising it. These are also a lot easier to work with, the formula isn't too drying in my opinion and for a matte colour that's super impressive. I don't have creamy smooth lips and when a lip product doesn't highlight my flaws, I'm impressed. The range of colours in this brand is also super impressive, they included oranges, pinks, reds, and even a deep purple which for drugstore brands is rather nifty. Overall, these are not too shabby. They have lovely pigmentation, are versatile, have a decent lasting power (4 to 5 hours) and are super inexpensive. So would I recommend these babies? Sure, why not? The brand has brought out shades that could work for everyone and for under 10 bucks, these lip crayons are definitely worth the purchase. 

Have you tried the Revlon Colorburst Matte Balms? Do you prefer a different brand of lip crayon? Let me know, down bellow! 

Stefanie xx
SHARE:

23 comments:

  1. gorgeous colours, really liking Sultry!

    http://ciarapocket.blogspot.ie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow these look so gorgeous. I really need to get my hands on some of these, the shades are so pretty xx
    Gemma // Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gemma I really would love to hear your opinion on these once you pick some up!

      Delete
  3. The colours look gorgeous, wish we had them in Austria :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried these but Elusive is a shade I would be interested in getting!
    xx
    Celina | The Celution | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh this looks so pretty, I love lip crayons :)

    http://Heidi-likes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are lovely shades - great review, would love to pick these up just because theyre cheapies! so hyped up too
    www.lydiarosexo.blogspot.co.uk xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really really want these! The shades are so amazing and idk, just obsessing over them haah

    xo Mélane
    Selfhelp | Inspiration | Motivation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, they're really lovely. Go pick yourself some up girl!

      Delete
  8. I love the shade! Such a pretty colour. They sound ok for a drug store product, will have to keep my eyes out for it :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous shade, I'm loving lip crayons right now, I just purchased one from Topshop!
    Josie xoxo
    Fashion Mumblr

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'll be sure to look out for these! I love a good matte lip x
    thegirlsnextdooruk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like these! They look matte but don't feel it!! I love the Clinique, and Nars ones the best though for lasting power!
    xx

    Alexandra | The A Style | Beauty and lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have yet to pick up Sultry, but I've been meaning to for quite some time! Stand Out is the only shade I own so far, and I absolutely adore it! x

    morerebe.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're waiting to get our hands on these!! They're always sold out when we head into the stores, but they look amazing so we really want to try them out. By the way, these cost around $20 in Australia, so we're jealous you can get them for such a great price!

    www.mkstyleramblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

© casuallyawkward. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig
09 10